[VHFcontesting] CW ops, pse qrs when contesting

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] CW ops, pse qrs when contesting
From: on4kj@skynet.be (on4kj)
Date: Thu Jul 31 16:20:41 2003
As sparks in the Navy ( fifty years ago ) we learned not to send faster
then the lowest speed in the net. Guess it was in the  ACP124 ( Allied
Communication Publication  124)
Some old timers should remember that. So there isn't anything new under the
sun....hi hi.
The following has been written by Jim Haterley WA1TBY on the seventh of
April 1985.

" CW FOR EVER."

you must have, at time, thought into the past,
When some things go out, while other last,
What comes to my mind is the OLD Morse Code,
That has weathered the storms from any abode,

To talk with ones fingers, is surely an Art,
Of any info you care to impart,
In most conditions the signals get thru,
While the same about fone is simply not true.

Those didhs and dahs cut through the trash,
Of nearby noise or lightning's crash,
To the sensitive ears of the Ham receiver,
Who records this data with ardent fever.

He knows he's doing something unique,
( In such poor conditions, that's quite a feat ! )
To roger the message that came from the air,
These brass pounders sure do have the flair.

They say Morse ops are a dying breed,
But dont dispair, there's always that need.
That when conditions get rough for the new automation ,
Be rest assured, there'll be need for your station,

CW is dying? Believe it never,
This mode will be 'round for ever and ever,
But one thing is sure, what we really need,
Is to relay our knowledge to the younger breed .

To carry the torch, long after we'er gone,
To send Morse Code thru the air as a song ,
When at last, Silent Key pull that final lever,
We" can rest in peace, it's CW  for ever and ever.

Jim told us in only one page where others discussed for hours and hours and
wrote books.
How clear and beautifull written is Jim's message.
As a mathematical analysis I just would add, " never " and " ever " doesn't
exist, its simply defines a very short and a very long  period of time .
And  jesus how short is our life.......

Jos on4kj