[VHFcontesting] RE: [VHF] EM05 in September Test

To: <tdanley@sbcglobal.net>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <rmvhf@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] RE: [VHF] EM05 in September Test
From: "Donald M. Ross" <dross@sirinet.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:50:22 -0500
Ted,

The problem with EM05 is that there is very little in the way of
activity areas for you to get into with your set up.  You're too far
from everywhere except Lawton (EM04) and we will have at least three
other low power rovers activating EM05 (as well as EM03, EM04, EM14, and
EM15) on ABCDE, so you'll just be QSO credit to the locals and will
probably not get much farther away due to terrain.  If you're still set
on EM05, try Fort Cobb State Park - I usually have pretty good luck from
there, but I run 400w and at least 9 elements on 2m and 75w on 70cm with
18 elements.

If you're not real set on EM05 and you're going to be in the OKC area,
might I suggest EM16?  There have been no contest stations from there in
the past two years and it is one of the reasons that I'm going to run
through it (briefly) on my rove.

If you're making a special trip to EM05 for the contest from your home
QTH, might I suggest the rest area north of Bellevue on US-287 in EM03?
It's on a hill and has clear shots at Lawton, OKC, and the metro-plex
and is easy to drive into.  It doesn't have facilities, but Bellevue is
close.

As for me, I'm starting out north of Bartlesville in EM26 and then zig
zagging across the Oklahoma - Kansas border adding EM27, EM17, EM16,
EM06, EM07, DM97, and DM96 at least and will probably add DM95, DM85,
DM94, EM04, EM05, and EM03 to the list.  My primary focus will be the
Lawton kids, the KA0MR, KC0HFL, N0EXZ, N0LD, K0UO, N0KQZ and where
possible, the metro-plex, OKC, KC, and Denver.  At least those are the
known locations that I will ensure that I point the beams.

I will be on 2m, 70cm, and 23cm.

Hope this helps.  Good luck and hope to work you in the contest.

Don, NL7CO/EM04