[VHFcontesting] Re: [VHF] EM05 in September Test

To: "Donald M. Ross" <dross@sirinet.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: [VHF] EM05 in September Test
From: tad danley <tdanley@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 14:42:02 -0500
Donald M. Ross wrote:

Ted,

The problem with EM05 is that there is very little in the way of
activity areas for you to get into with your set up.  You're too far
from everywhere except Lawton (EM04) and we will have at least three
other low power rovers activating EM05 (as well as EM03, EM04, EM14, and
EM15) on ABCDE, so you'll just be QSO credit to the locals and will
probably not get much farther away due to terrain.  If you're still set
on EM05, try Fort Cobb State Park - I usually have pretty good luck from
there, but I run 400w and at least 9 elements on 2m and 75w on 70cm with
18 elements.

If you're not real set on EM05 and you're going to be in the OKC area,
might I suggest EM16? There have been no contest stations from there in
the past two years and it is one of the reasons that I'm going to run
through it (briefly) on my rove.

Don:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not set on EM05, but I would like to operate from someplace within a 4 hour drive or less from home (EM13, McKinney, TX, about 30 miles North of Dallas).

Based on that and my modest station, can you or anyone recommend a better grid for me?

I will be running single Par Omniangle antennas on 6, 2 and 432 from my Jeep with an FT-100D

Thanks again and 73,

--
Tad Danley, K3TD