[VHFcontesting] transverters

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] transverters
From: Marten T Beels <martentb@goshen.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:12:12 -0500
At the request of a list member, I'm submitting the responses to the list that
I received on my request for information on transverters for 222.  Good info
should be shared!

<quote>

Hey Marten,

Look for Microwave Module Transverters (MMT).  They were popular during
the 80's-90's and work very well.  I currently use them for 222 and
1296.  Depending on band (50-1296) they go for $100 - $250.

If you want to build your own you should look into the ARRL VHF/UHF
Handbook and The ARRL UHF/Microwave Experimenter's Manual.  Also look
for some of the Microwave Update and Eastern VHF/UHF Conference
publications.  Good stuff in there.  Also check out
http://www.w1ghz.org  he has created a small 222 transverter that is
pretty easy to build.  A couple of places sell the board and or kits.
DEMI has a parts kit at: http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/222ghzk.htm
for $90.

Dana
N1OFZ

Marten,
            Transverters are the way to go for 432 and up.  DEM
unfortunately are the economical transverters. There are some microwave
modules transverters still around. they do work gud and are a little cheaper
than DEM,  but DEM's are much quieter on RX than MM.  For building ur own
check out the ARRL VHF/UHF Handbook.  There are some gud ones there. 73 es
gud luck de Mike K8ROX

Hi Marten,

For 432 I highly recommend the K9EK transverter that was in QST several
years ago. I don't have the articles handy at the moment but I can get the
dates for you later and maybe even scan them for you.  It was a two-part
article.

To get the most power out of the amp module I recommend the circuit
designed by W1VT which was in QEX.  It works better than the K9EK circuit.

I've built two of these so far and both work great.

73, Zack W9SZ

</quote>