[VHFcontesting] Re: [Rover] Stupid Categories [was:Are you ready for the

To: rover@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: [Rover] Stupid Categories [was:Are you ready for the January SS??]
From: "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:29:03 -0500
Dave Wendling wrote:

> It all depends on your outlook Ev, for me contesting is the competition.
> I do not have the time or cash to design a 10 band rover station. Since
> competion means winning. I will never meet this goal with the equipment
> I have.

Hi Dave,
I think you are selling yourself short.  You are one of the most driven (pun, I
know) rover advocates that I know.  Surely you realize that -- just like our
counterparts in Track and Field, it takes time to condition (both biologically
and technically) and train before we can hope to be recognized as the best in
our field.

You can't throw in the towel...it's too deeply woven in your fabric.  In fact,
you saw a way to be even *more* efficient and developed Palm-based logging
software.  Those that use it see their scores increase simply from being more
efficient at logging.

I'm simply saying that we should be careful what we ask for.  Our bands are
constantly under attack from the outside.  Asking the ARRL to make it even more
advantageous for us to submit logs that reference fewer bands-used will
trade-off our future for some undefinable level of present-satisfaction.

Ev, W2EV
--
PropNET: If the band is open and no one is TXing, does anyone hear it?
HamIM  : Messaging the all-ham way, find Rovers as they go to play.