Re: [VHFcontesting] Re:ERP-based Entry Classes

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Re:ERP-based Entry Classes
From: Paul Kiesel <k7cw@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:22:30 -0800 (PST)
Now that "'nuf's" been finally said, I'll tack on my
own post-nuf comments.

Dana's done some homework and what he says here
counts. Dana's reasons and those of many others who
are against making major changes in the rules are the
real truth. Fact is, no matter what guise you put
"level the playing field" under, it cannot be done.

Out here in the Pacific Northwest, there's no way we
could ever win a major VHF contest. But, right now, we
have the freedom to try. We can build bigger antennas,
run higher power, utilize more bands, etc. At least,
it's possible to make a show. If changes are made to
make it easier for anyone to win, what's going to be
gained? This is supposed to be competition. The real
competitors have been building their efforts for years
around the present rules.

Limited Multi: No, I didn't like it, either. The thing
I don't like about it is that they automatically put
your score in that group if you run four or fewer
bands. It's possible to beat the Unlimited entries
even with fewer bands, hence, that category should be
chosen, not mandated, in that circumstance. Whatever.
It's no big deal. If you don't like it, submit with
more than four bands.

Of course, having VHF competions contributes (in the
long run) to populating the bands. But, levelling the
playing field isn't the way to make people want to
compete, that is, get something out of competing.
Competitions are more fun when it's more difficult to
win. The difficulty of the competitions leads to
better equipment, antennas, operators - and - better
use of the spectrum. To me, ERP-based rules would be a
stairway to mediocrity.

My proposal: Leave the major VHF/UHF contest rules
alone.

73,
Paul, K7CW