[VHFcontesting] Re:ERP-based Entry Classes

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re:ERP-based Entry Classes
From: N1OFZ <n1ofz@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:22:52 -0500
I have been rereading and rethinking Ev's proposal for many days now. It got me to thinking about why these changes were suggested in the first place. Increased participation in the higher bands. I'm pretty sure the changing the scoring to ERP is not going to do that.

17 of 445 class A ops used bands over 1296 in the June 2003 contest. Out of the top 10 class A ops only 1 had bands over 1296. Further, that op only had 2304 and made 2Q's. So it is pretty clear that you don't need a lot of bands to win SOLP. On the other hand, 29 of 157 class B ops used bands over 1296. 6 out of the top 10 ops had bands over 1296. Looks like to be competitive in SOHP you have to have more bands. Dare I say that there is almost a self imposed (natural) 5 band limit in SOLP?

The focus of increasing participation on the higher bands needs to be on finding an inexpensive, plug and play way of getting the large number of guys with IC-706's, FT-100's and all the other HF-VHF/UHF rigs on SHF+. The guys who can build transverters themselves and the scrounger/modifier are probably already on these bands. What is left is a big pool of people who need a way. Telling them to shell out $400+ for a transverter and then a few more hundred for feed line, relays, etc, doesn't make sense to them. They probably only spent $500-1000 for a rig that does HF-UHF. Why does it cost almost as much to add one SHF band? Why bother? The stats show it is not even going to help their score much. Where does ERP classes provide an incentive to add more bands? If anything it might move some of the existing SOLP into SOHP which may not make them too happy.

In general guys who want to get on other bands do it because they want to. Curiosity, the challenge and I'm sure many other reasons. The only way to get the 'general population' to do it is to make it easy and cheap to do. No contest rules change is going to do it...

Dana
N1OFZ