Re: [VHFcontesting] FT-100D vs. IC-706MII

To: "jon jones" <n0jk@hotmail.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT-100D vs. IC-706MII
From: "Tom Carney" <tomc7@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:20:29 -0800
I went through the same decision a couple of years ago.  Finally got a
FT-100D mainly based on it's ability to receive 222 and 903.  The other
point in it's favor was slightly better cross mod number as an HF rig.

Having done so, the FT-100D is fairly dead on 222 so it has limited value as
a receiver for the band.  You would definitely need a pre-amp in front of
the radio for it to be of much use.  I've never tried it on 903 but suspect
it would have the same problem.

My FT-100D is fairly sensitive to low voltage.  If used on SSB, there is
noticeable FMing if the supply voltage drops below 11.8 volts or so.  A
friend who also has a FT-100 reports the same problem.  As far as I know the
IC-706 will operate a significantly lower voltage.  This can be a problem
for a rover if you are operating off a battery.

The microphone connection of the FT-100D is a six pin telephone jack.  This
is somewhat of a problem if you want to use a different mike.  You can,
however, solve it with a bit of research.  I use a PC headset with mine for
HF contesting.  Works fine but a bit of a kludge.  Don't know if the IC-706
has this problem or not.

If I had to do it over and had a 706 I would even think of switching,
definitely not worth the money.

One other point, as far as I know the FT-100D has been discontinued.

73  Tom  KE6FI/R