[VHFcontesting] Vhf Contests

To: vhf-contest-proposal@arrl.org, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Vhf Contests
From: Larry Lambert NØLL <n0ll@ruraltel.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:46:53 -0600
Tom, I'll bet u are getting all kinds of comments on the recommendations and goals concerning the three ARRL VHF contests. Some guys have some pretty strong feelings about this.
Out here in the sticks where we have more jackrabbits coyotes and deer than people the rovers used to be a large part of my score. Especially in January and September. When the rover scoring rules were changed in say 1995 the rover Q went down darmacicly. Before 1995 I might have as many as 200 rover q from my single operator station. Last January 2004 the rover contacts were 13. That has really made a deference and the deference is not good for contest activity.
I was serving the Midwest Division on the Contest Advisory Committee back in the 90s. The CAC voted 11 to 3 to change the rover scoring rules back to the pre 1995 rules. When our recommendations got to the Membership Services Committee at the League this was rejected. Several good Rovers out here who hadn't already quit rovering quit then and most have never returned to the road. It sounds now like maybe we the CAC people knew best all along. Otherwise I really don't feel much needs to be changed in the rules. Change is hard for me so whatever happens happens but I remember that rover scoring change in 1995 discouraged activity during the contests. In fact some of the Colorado guys are still upset about this. N0LRJ our 20 grid contest rover has basically went QRT completely. I also have to think the 1 point per rover q won't work. It may be different on the East or West coast but it is not a good idea out here.
Of the last 90 or so ARRL VHF contests I have won in Kansas in the class entered all but say maybe 4.

73s Larry N0LL