[VHFcontesting] Ham Radio: Connecting with People

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Ham Radio: Connecting with People
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:28:14 -0500
If one assumes that Ham Radio is about communicating (connecting with people), then it is easy to see how HF is what people think about when it comes to Amateur Radio. Pick *any* HF frequency, spend a half hour calling CQ and be rewarded with contact(s). Try that on VHF and be rewarded with repeater ID's and static a vast majority of the time.

HF & VHF are two entirely different animals. For long-term success on VHF, one needs a club (or at least a group of other folks who are regularly sharing their interest). Yes, there are exceptions, but in the absence of human communication - there is little to get excited about.

Think about it...this is the draw of the Internet's IM craze among the younger set. Just as our imaginations were engaged listening to short wave sets in our youth, theirs is massaged by imagining the person at the other end of the keyboard.

The Rover score controversy is related. Contesters are rewarded with scores that rate their ability to connect with as many people as possible within a given time frame. When it is possible to reach a higher reward by specifically *not* connecting with other people, the value of the event is diluted for everyone.

No-code HF will give us VHF+ers a challenge.

As for "them": I believe that the *legislative* secret (if there is one) to populating our VHF+ bands (including uWave frequencies under commercial assault) is to provide entry-level HF priviledges that are power-starved, and VHF+ priviledges that are not. QRP HF rigs are a commonplace. 150-watt VHF bricks are too. When combined, an entry-level HF license class with 10w HF and 200w VHF, 50w @ 903+ seems in order.

As for "us": I believe that the *practical* secret to populating our VHF+ bands is realizing that we need regular, interesting, engaging club meetings *and* activities [club competition in contests, orienteering parties, *sponsoring* a licensing class, presenting at other club's licensing classes, running a tune-up clinic, etc.]. Strong clubs = strong activity = strong growth. Those unwilling to do this are part of the "problem" that no amount of legislation will help.

Of course, my opinion and $0.99 gets you a big gulp at the corner mini-market.

Ev Tupis, W2EV