Re: [VHFcontesting] Preventing grid circling.

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Preventing grid circling.
From: Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:23:49 -0800 (PST)
--- Dan Evans <n9rla@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  If someone would can
> come up with better solution, I would certainly like
> to see it.  Or do we need a solution?  Rovers?

Don't know if it is a singular "solution" but how
about basing points strictly on the distance between 6
digit grids?

So a group of rovers circling a mile or so apart will
only get the "3-4 mile points" per Q that a 6 digit
exchange would give them. Rovers working each other
(or fixed stations) from 100 miles away would get 100
"mile points", 50 miles away 50 points, 250 miles
apart 250 "mile points" and so on. So the effort spent
doing pre-orchestrated "close-in" circling wouldn't be
worth the effort for the points earned. So no specific
rule would even be needed to explicitly ban it.

If two rover run into each other at some choice
operating spot or corner somewhere, let them work each
as much as they want, the points will be less, but
that will just be the luck of the draw, same for
rovers working from a choice spot that is near a fixed
station's choice spot, again luck of the draw.

Same mileage point system should apply to fixed
station to fixed station Q's as well. Points per Q
must be the same for both rovers and fixed stations.

I suppose there could still be some
"pre-orchestration" between rovers and others but the
emphasis would be on doing it from as far a distance
from each other as possible. In the end is that really
such a bad thing?

Duane
N9DG