RE: [VHFcontesting] Grid circling time limit problem....possiblesolutio

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [VHFcontesting] Grid circling time limit problem....possiblesolution.
From: "Greg Mills" <gmills@frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:19:34 -0500
This is a response to the following: "I don't see the technical challenge
being greater than random VHF or UHF contacts however." contained in the
email below. It's not an attack on anybody, just some personal opinions that
have been stewing in me for a week and 5 hours.

I'm a 12 band, 6m - 47 GHz rover, and it usually takes about 20 minutes to
run the bands through at least 10 GHz. The 20 minutes is if I am around 40
miles or less from the other guy, and does NOT include the "find what freq
K2*** is on" time.

Now, if you change it to 80 or 100 or 200 miles, you can spend an hour or
more, including the time it takes to find someone with all the corresponding
bands you want to use in the first place. This doesn't include the 24 or 47
GHz stuff, which can take a half hour each... sometimes resulting in never
hearing the other guy at all. This can add up to 2 hours to run the bands,
but is typically less due to the "bag it, I don't hear a thing" time.

Who suffers from this? Everybody, of course. I want to work more people, but
my goal in ham radio is too build stuff (turned me into a RF engineer), and
then test it out. While jamming out a dozen 2m FM QSO's in a couple of
minutes is fun, a 360 mile QSO on 3.5 GHz is fun too, and that 3.5 GHz QSO
tells me I finally got the recipe right for that radio.

That right there is 11 potential QSO's "lost" forever. Someone could say
"what about the other guy in the rover". Well, I run a low tech operation,
so both of us are trying to hear the CW down in the noise. Other stations
are worked, but not nearly as many as if we chopped off everything above 3
GHz or something.

I guess what I am trying to say is... I don't specifically go out to be a
captive rover, but a person can turn into one if they want to hit 8 or 10
grids, work all the bands, and get enough sleep to not wreck.

I'm also not interested in roving without my 2 GHz and up stuff, because
that is where all the "build time" went.

K2LDT roving team:

Greg - K2LDT - (was Grandpa's (Roger Mills') call) - DC bands guy
Charlie - K2LDU - licensed in '55, same time as Roger - 10 GHz and up guy

Thank you for your time,

Greg - K2LDT