Re: [VHFcontesting] comments on proposed VHF+ rules changes

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] comments on proposed VHF+ rules changes
From: N3AWS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 07:50:58 EST
My remarks as an ARRL Life Member, casual contester, and occasional attempted
rover with poor results:

1.  If the ARRL wants to attract the Ic 706/FT-100 crowd to the June Contest,
this doesn't seem to be the way to do it.

Instead, why not institute an Hill Topping category similar to what CQ tried
with their last contest?  Allow portable set-up with the option of moving once
to a new spot.  Encourage "pedestrian" mobile which is so popular with the
FT-817 type rigs.

But put these people into a category where they compete against each other,
not the low power home stations.

2.  Don't eliminate any bands--we need VHF/UHF activity to protect our
frequencies.

3.  Bottom line: try NEW things to attract new groups of potential
participants, but DON'T alienate those who already participate with changes
that remove
their incentive to be rovers, multi band superstations, etc.  There is room
for everybody.

And for those monitoring on the sidelines: c'mon in, the water's fine!

73,  Jim N3AWS/4
EM90