[VHFcontesting] Comments on proposed VHF+ rules changes

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf-contest-proposal@arrl.org>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Comments on proposed VHF+ rules changes
From: "John Maxwell" <john.maxwell@johnmaxwell.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:13:41 -0700
Dear Committee et al,

Well,  it seems that your rule change will badly affect our ability to
have any kind of score for the VHF contest as well as our desire to run
any VHF or microwave contest.  Not to mention that I feel that your
method of comment and timing of the required responses seems to be very
short and difficult. (Not very well publicized.)

We live in a part of the country where we must scrounge for every QSO.
Our band conditions are severely limited by lack of moisture in the air
and we must pursue every rover and microwave station we can find to get
any respectable score.

Your proposed rule changes would basically make it mostly useless for
anyone to run a rover station to pick up our rare or basically
non-existent grid squares.

Disallowing microwave contacts and multipliers will basically kill any
chance of a good score.  We regularly run 2304, 3456, 5760 and 10360 for
the VHF contest, and not only do we have the most fun making microwave
contacts, it takes away the monotony of waiting for band openings on 6
and 2 meters.  We work very hard to make our microwave stations work and
we're proud of the time we put in on them.

Basically, you will cripple us and I would venture a guess that you will
lose many of the folks in the lower population areas completely with ill
conceived rule changes like this.

Your removal of the spectrum from our ability to use it in contests
basically is another clear message to the government as well as big
business that the Amateur Spectrum is a great opportunity to grab some
spectrum and take it away from a non-pecuniary, yet badly needed hobby.
I pay my dues to the ARRL to keep our bands, not to take them away!

Consider this a message to the ARRL Directors about the future of the
Amateur hobby and spectrum.  Please reconsider and drop the rule change
proposal for the VHF contests.  The proposed rule changes only hurt the
little folks that need them the most.

John Maxwell
N0WBW
John.maxwell@johnmaxwell.net