[VHFcontesting] Contest Measure of Success

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Contest Measure of Success
From: "Ron Hooper" <w4wa@alltel.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:10:52 -0500
I would like to ask the group a question.

Why does the success of a contest need to be measured by the number of logs
received by the ARRL?

Instead of dropping a contest because of the reluctance to submit the log,
maybe we should look back and ask ourselves, are we actually working less
people in the UHF or other contest now than we did in the previous years. My
answer is NO, the activity has increased in the South.

My observation is that hams have simply lost the motivation to send in the
logs. The threat of loosing the UHF contest could motivate some to start
turning in a log, but we should also look at what de-motivates operators
from sending in a log.

ARRLs reluctance to change or not change the rules.
Correct software incorporating the new rules or computer skills to log and
send in the score.
Lack of recognition for efforts (no matter how small).
Can not be competitive from my station or location.

These de-motivators spread across the spectrum into many contest. The
success of a contest should not be measured by submitted logs alone but by
the actual participation. The ARRL should be comparing the submitted entries
with the actual participation to measure how well their contesting program
is actually working in order to make corrections to the plan instead of
giving it up.

Ron W4WA
Lula, Georgia