Re: [VHFcontesting] Renewing Interest in VHF Contesting

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Renewing Interest in VHF Contesting
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 09:03:36 -0400
 From the ARRL Letter:
==>LOGBOOK OF THE WORLD DXCC CREDITS SYSTEM RENEWING DXCC ENTHUSIASM

The DXCC credits component of ARRL's Logbook of the World (LoTW)
<http://www.arrl.org/lotw> secure contact database got off to an
enthusiastic and busy start Thursday, May 6--a day later than planned.
ARRL Membership Services Manager Wayne Mills, N7NG, says the
much anticipated LoTW DXCC component not only is making it easier for
members to apply QSO credits to their DXCC records, it seems to be
renewing overall interest in the DXCC program.

Having seen several very well thought out posts in reply to the note that I floated earlier, I thought I'd refocus on what my original intent again.

Please note that the above is a notice from the ARRL that (unless I'm misinterpreting something) says, 'People who ALREADY HAD the ability to chase DX QSO's have a renewed interest in doing so because' (now...don't kill me...I've said this publicly before) 'it's now more FUN, even EASIER and THERE IS A REWARD FOR DOING SO.'

I simply suggested that one major way to do similar things for the VHF community is to require electronic submissions of logs (to lessen the burden and costs on Dan & the ARRL), placing paper-submitted logs in a non-competitive (but listed) category and use the automatic processing system to present results for publication on the months before two of the most major operating events that we have (the January and June VHF contests).

That would get ME pumped up to operate. It may even get a bunch of new people to do so as well...since the announcement for the June contest would appear in the same issue as the results for the January VHF Sweepstakes!

Ev, W2EV

PS. Rhetorical Question: How many Top-10 scoring logs were submitted on paper over the past three years? I'd be interested to know. Maybe I'm 'all wet'. :)