[VHFcontesting] New Blood

To: <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] New Blood
From: "Howard Payne" <w4np@wythenet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 21:36:05 -0400
VHF/UHF New Blood!

I was a HF addict for many years. Ah the thrill of the chase and 80 was my
favorite band. Big antennas and power why? In the fall and winter the bands
were quite enough to work the world. In the evening work east, NE, and SE. In
the morning work west, NW and SW. The south could be worked in the morning and
evening.

Then I got into vhf. At first 2, then six and with the ts-2000 coming 432 will
be up soon. Just like HF there are band plans for vhf and uhf. Then there are
contests... My question is where in the heck is everyone that works these uhf
and vhf bands?

Most evenings I run 125 watts on 6 with a 7 el M2 at 60 feet and call cq on cw
for ½ to 1 hour on the calling frequency 50.125. I am lucky if I get 1
response. Sometimes I switch to 2 meters and repeat the same thing on the
calling frequency 144.200 again I am lucky if I get a response with the 19
element M2 at 70 feet and 100 watts. I spend approximately 8 hours a week on
vhf and don't average 8 QSO'S for my efforts. When I'm not calling cq I am
still monitoring the calling frequencies.

I can get on HF and work the world or at least think I am trying to work the
world. Why? There is plenty of activity on the HF bands. HAMS OPERATORS GET ON
THE HF BANDS AND CALL CQ IN AN EFFORT TO WORK ANOTHER HAM. Should you want to
increase the activity on the frequencies above 30 MC get on the radio and work
others with the same interests. When a newcomer gets on the band they will hear
activity and possibly work some one instead of finding a "dead band".

Regards,

Hal

W4np EM 96ln.