[VHFcontesting] Eskip detection

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Eskip detection
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 15:04:07 -0500
Reading W3ZZ's article on Eskip the most recent QST
got me thinking about Eskip detection again.

Last summer I got in on a few 2m Eskip openings and this
got me to thinking about more automated widespread
ways to detect signals.

What you really need is some automatic way to ID the
transmission source.  You also need as many transmitters
as you can get.  One thought was to use the NOAA
weather transmissions at 164 Mhz.  They are on 24 hours
a day and only on 7 frequencies.  This would
be very good to use as an indication of 222 mhz Eskip.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/

Now if they just had some sort of data stream that would
ID them 24 hours a day.  Last time I checked they did not
have anything like that running on their signals that was
on the signal all the time.

They do have it for special weather alerts.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/nwrsame.htm

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net