RE: [VHFcontesting] Eskip detection

To: "'George Fremin III'" <geoiii@kkn.net>,<vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [VHFcontesting] Eskip detection
From: "Ron / K7UV" <sixmeters@k7uv.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:02:51 -0600
This is a great point.  There is also a ham vhf site (I'll look for the URL)
posting his FM (88-108 MHz) DX reception reports over the past two decades.
The top end of the U.S. FM band is a good indicator of sporadic E as well as
tropo propagation.  It's amazing however how frequency sensitive the MUF (or
in this case MUEs) frequency can be; oftentimes the top end of six meters
will not support Es while the low end will. It would be great if we could
get more 144 MHz and 222 MHz beacons.  On of the Great Britain ham web sites
contends that the U.S. beacons are not very useful because we run so little
power compared to the beacons overseas and in Australia.  Hmmm???

Ron Johnson
K7UV
DN31xm
Brigham City, UT