Re: [VHFcontesting] The Rover Resource Page updated!

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The Rover Resource Page updated!
From: Art <ky1k@pivot.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 10:50:56 -0400
I've thought about tracking rovers for some time. However, it seems marginally practical as rovers change plans, trucks break down etc. So, they can't always show up on schedule. Once there, you can't be certain you will find them on the published frequency....in general, it's not productive to search for a particular rover because the plans/schedules do change, even after the contest starts.

Of course, using the internet to coordinate/announce rovers being available in real time would be an awesome boost for us and for them. Unfortunately, the ARRL forbids solicitation for contacts via non-amatuer means. So, use of packetclusters is illegal and realtime internet chat pages are out too (packetclusters are illegal because they are networked and all have non-amateur links to other nodes).

I've wondered about HF packet though. 80 and or 40 meters provide suitable propagation distances in daylight or nighttime. Since they are amateur radio by nature, you can use HF packet to solicit/spot your frequency or announce you were 'looking SW' for instance. A simple tnc could be used to transmit and receive unproto packets containing spotting information.

Have you or the group ever given thought about this?? Even a superstation doesn't work everyone within it's 'range' because the antennas are so directional. A little amateur radio HF data communications would go a long way towards improving the activity and the number of stations we work during contests.

Art