Re: [VHFcontesting] The Rover Resource Page updated!

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The Rover Resource Page updated!
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:40:40 -0400
Art wrote:

I've thought about tracking rovers for some time. However, it seems marginally practical as rovers change plans, trucks break down etc. So, they can't always show up on schedule. Once there, you can't be certain you will find them on the published frequency....in general, it's not productive to search for a particular rover because the plans/schedules do change, even after the contest starts.

Hi Art!
You have just written the introduction to my Central States VHF Society's presentation titled "HamIM". :) (thanks to Dan for pointing out the HamIM system earlier)

Imagine:
o Having all Rovers call CQ on the same frequency (no tuning around!)
o Having Rovers automate their CQ (just like using a voice keyer)
o Everyone tuned to the same frequency, listening for CQ's and using
  their computer to alert them when a CQ is heard
o Having the computer plot the location of the CQing station on a map
o Using the computer to keyboard message the CQer
o All of this by the use of UNASSISTED Amateur-radio based communication

All simplex all-Amateur, all VHF Contest Desk approved. How cool is that? :)

HamIM info at: http://w2ev.rochesterny.org

Ev, W2EV