Re: [VHFcontesting] Available records

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Available records
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 17:24:25 -0500
> I find it interesting that in the 16 years that the Single Operator
> Portable category has been in the ARRL June VHF QSO Party, 23% of all
> ARRL/RAC sections have never had a single contest entry in that category -
> ever.  I don't think it's a huge surprise to learn that nobody has ever
> entered the contest from the Northwest Territories/Yukon Territory/Nunavut
> section before (in any category,) but I find it mildly amazing that nobody
> has ever entered the contest (in any category) from KP2, even just on six
> meters.

However, there was a documented QSO with VY1JA at the start of the June
contest a couple of years ago.  The band was actually open from the
Pacific Northwest at the start of the contest and a CW QSO took place
between Oregon and the Yukon.  However, right after that QSO, Jay's
sister called on the phone to talk.  After the phone call, the band was
dead for the rest of the weekend for Jay.

He didn't send in a log, but did send an e-mail to the ARRL indicating
that it was his only QSO.

Many other stations were QRV on the same frequency and were calling and
calling while Jay was on the phone.  Meanwhile, the station that worked
him moved up the band with a huge smile on his face...

Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net