Re: [VHFcontesting] 6 meter beam

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 6 meter beam
From: Lee Scott - AA1YN <aa1yn@aa1yn.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 11:04:43 -0400
At 07:27 AM 7/1/2004 -0500, you wrote:

Hi,

I'm getting ready to begin my tower project here and have decided that I'd
like to have a nice big beam for 6 meters.  I'm thinking about a 30 to 35'
boom with 8 or 9 elements would be nice.  I was wondering if anyone on this
group has modeled something similair to what I'm describing or has plans to
build one.  I know m2 makes one close to what I'm looking for BUT I would
like to stay away from commercial stuff if possible.  I actually have some
money saved up for this so this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me
to get something for 6m that will REALLY REALLY play.  Size is not an issue,
so I'd love to hear what the "big guns" on 6 are using and if you have any
ideas for a nice BIG yagi for 6.

Thanks, Matt W5LL

Matt,

You could give K1WHS a try at http://www.directivesystems.com. He has done a lot of work in the area of very large 6m beams. He is big into VHF contesting and if I'm not mistaken - has a 48' beam. Getting up to this size can be quite pricey so you might think of stacking two 5 or 6 ele beams. You would have less elevation beam width the same azimuth beam width. This might be better suited for contesting than a single looonnnnggg beam. They're less weight and require less torque on your rotator.

Lee Scott - AA1YN Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf Hooksett, NH FN43gc52