Re: [VHFcontesting] Pre-amp question follow up

To: mike@ka5cvh.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Pre-amp question follow up
From: jeff millar <wa1hco@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:49:47 -0400
You need a rotor loop to make enable the mast to turn without resistance. It's difficult to make a loop with stiff coax and it ends up too big. So the tower feedline changes over to something flexible to make the rotor loop, run up the mast, and out the boom to the driven element. This could be superflex, RG-213 or somthing reasonally flexible and low loss. Avoid 9913 or other type of coax that can let water flow along the length.

I mount the rotor 10 ft below the top, with a 16ft high strength steel mast, but plan to push it up 5 more feet sometime.

The tower feedlines run up to the top of the tower to minimize the length of flexible (and small and more lossy) coax.

jeff, wa1hco

Michael A. Urich wrote:

Original comment

My vision is to run a single LMR-600 feedline to the top of the tower and
then switch it to masthead pre-amps with LMR-400 runs to the antennas.

* * *

A point of clarification + a follow up question.  I haven't ruled out
running a single feedline per band and the pre-amps do not have to be
installed at the time the tower goes up, and due to budget limitations may
have to come later but I want to plan for them when the tower goes up.

One individual indicated that the LRM400 from the top of tower around the
rotor is a bad idea because of its solid center conductor.  My intention
is to have the rotor down inside the tower actually a few feet lower than
my thoughts about where the weatherproof box for the pre-amps will go.

My question(s) is Why would running a solid center conductor near the
rotor be a bad idea?  And a follow up, If a solid center conductor is the
improper approach then would running an even larger feedline past the
rotor be incorrect as well?

Mike Urich, KA5CVH
www.ka5cvh.com