[VHFcontesting] RE: [70cm] Pre-amp question follow up

To: <mike@ka5cvh.com>,"Discussion of the 70cm Amateur Band" <70cm@mailman.qth.net>,"VHF Contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>,"Microwave" <microwave@wa1mba.org>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] RE: [70cm] Pre-amp question follow up
From: "John Allen" <jallen@vhfcom.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:53:29 -0400
I recommend RG-214 for a rotor loop.  (Double Shielded RG213, Silver Plated
Shields).  0 failures in multiple rotor loops in 15+ years of service.

Some RG-214 Info:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/cable/0390.html

http://www.tessco.com/products/displaySkus.do?groupId=403&subgroupId=25

It can sometimes be found at flea markets.  It is quite expensive new, but
you are only talking about 6-8 feet per rotor loop.
Also, I recommend N connectors at both ends of the rotor loop.  (UG-21/D is
a good choice.)  NOT UHF Connectors, not even for HF.  N connectors will
keep water out of your coax better than UHF due to the construction with the
gasket.  I still use high quality electrical tape and Krylon on the tape.

I have never tried solid center conductor coax as a rotor loop.  All of my
runs above the rotor and up the tower to the rotor are solid center
conductor such as 9913.  Larger coaxes tend to have solid conductors
(remember RG-17?)

73, es good DX to all, John K1AE

John Allen  - PC Support Solutions www.pcsupportsolutions.com PC House
Calls: Computer HW/SW/Network debugging, installation, maintenance, and
upgrades
mailto:john@pcsupportsolutions.com  978 779-6189 M: 508 361-6229