Re: [VHFcontesting] Cross Mode communication

To: mclarson@rcc.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Cross Mode communication
From: "Jim Erickson" <k3lfo@mddsg.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:21:03 -0400 (EDT)
Mike,

Interesting question!  MY PET PEEVE!  When I am on CW in a contest, I can
not copy an SSB station calling me.  All it is is interference from the
opposite side band at that point.  My receiver is tuned 500 Hz off my
transmit frequency to copy the CW (this is an ICOM).  Now with a Kenwood
It isn't as bad a problem because the Kenwoods use USB to copy CW.
However with both there is a matter of the offset freq as well as narrow
CW filters.

Biggest objection is that we get on CW to pull out the week ones!  If I
can copy you FB on SSB, you are not a week one.  Why not wait until you
hear us on PH to call?  Or at lease wait to hear if I get a reply then
give a long enough call to switch to SSB and tune you in.

Just one of the frustrations of VHF contesting ....  73,

Jim K3LFO