[VHFcontesting] Re: Switching Power Supplies

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: Switching Power Supplies
From: Rusty Boling <ae4bk@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:13:07 -0700 (PDT)
I have pretty much isolated it down to the transformer.  Everything else that I
can check with the equipment that I have without desoldering absolutely
everything has checked out good including the rectifiers, caps, and the pass
transistors which I have desoldered and put back in place.  The terrible
hum/vibration is definately coming from the transformer.  Even cranked on it a
bit to tighten it up and to tighten it to the frame of the supply better with
no help as it was already tight. I have had a previous problem with this
Pyramid 35A supply about 6-7 years ago with a constant vibration so I think
this must have been a lamination issue.  Anyway, I have pretty much written off
the Pyramid since this is the 2nd problem I have had with it.  I know alot of
people that swear by the Astron 35A and I like them too but I have used one of
those before (that a friend of mine owns) while portable and it could not stick
with my Pyramid.  We switched the 2 out a couple of times and the
  Astron
 could not handle the Mirage amp and the radio.  I suspect we had a little low
line voltage from a long line from the generator...but like I said the Pyramid
had no problems and the Astron could not maintain it's voltage under load.
Anyway, I have pretty much narrowed it down to theses switchers.....MFJ 40A,
Diamond 40A, and the Diawa 30A with the Diamond being very borderline on
current (but has excellent reviews).  I say MFJ because if their warranty and
an excellent local dealer, Diamond because of high current and lots of outlets
like the MFJ (even if only 1 meter), and again the Diawa for excellent review
on eham.net scoring a 5 out of 5, has a carry handle and rubber bumpers front
and rear for some more durability while portable.......Rusty  NE4ME

Message: 1