Re: [VHFcontesting] AU - How near for VHF prop ?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] AU - How near for VHF prop ?
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:15:36 -0400
Hi Charles,

That is an interesting question which I can not answer. I
hope someone else can.

However, I can tell you that a significant amount of aurora
is completely "missed" in North America. I was not
listening last night, but over the past few months there
have been several occasions when W1XR/b was in quite strong
on aurora and there was ZERO QSO activity taking place.

Perhaps this is related to [what I perceive as] a general
decrease in routine VHF weak signal activity in the
northeast. A decade or so ago, very few auroras were
completely missed as there were several stations on every
night CQing, lurking, waiting... and if the K index was 4
or above they spent a lot of time CQ'ing with antennas
pointed north in hope of catching a bit of aurora. It seems
these days unless it is an unusually intense aurora, no one
notices (or cares?). I don't know for sure what factors
contribute to this, but I do know for certain many auroras
capable of supporting 144 MHz contacts go by without any
activity.

Not that I should talk about decreased activity! I've become
scarce on the bands myself, except for contests and MAJOR
propagation events!

73,
Paul N1BUG