Re: [VHFcontesting] AU - How near for VHF prop ?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] AU - How near for VHF prop ?
From: "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:02:39 -0400
N1BUG wrote:

However, I can tell you that a significant amount of aurora is completely "missed" in North America. I was not listening last night, but over the past few months there have been several occasions when W1XR/b was in quite strong on aurora and there was ZERO QSO activity taking place.

I wholeheartedly agree with Paul on this.

Mike Owen (W9IP) once presented a meteor scatter system whereby he monitored TV2 (not a station normally within his range) during meteor showers. When he heard a "ping" there, he'd call CQ on 6m. His premise was "why waste the RF if there's nothing to propagate it?"

It is the premise for the PropNET system (http://www.PropNET.org)... "If the band is open but nobody is transmitting, does anybody hear it?". Too bad PropNET isn't embraced by the VHF community as well as it has caught on with the 10m crowd. Alas, adoption of digital modes on VHF by the masses is still years away.

In the mean time, wouldn't it be cool to create a system that can be tuned to a known 2m CW beacon frequency and lurk...waiting for RF to "break the squelch"...then report it to the DX alerting networks?

Ev, W2EV