[VHFcontesting] Bald Knob

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Bald Knob
From: kevin kaufhold <kkaufhold@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:26:35 -0700 (PDT)
Bald Knob, at Alto Pass, Illinois, is a great spot in
EM57, and is one of the highest spots for a hundred
miles or more in any direction.  AA9D did indeed have
tremendous signal from that location.  There are many
write-ups and pictures on the contest site in older
QST's, if anyone is is interested.  More recently,
some of the locals in that grid have been using the
site intermittently in the contests.

The immediate area has little population however, so
there isn't much there by way of either accommodations
or a large VHF amateur population.  If anyone plans on
running, I would suggest KW level power and long boom
yagis (AA9D ran stacked Cushcraft with very long
booms).  Not much height is needed, as the site is
already on top of a large hill.  One year, the
antennas were placed on top of the cross, for another
150 feet in height.  I don't think that has occurred
recently however, and operations have been run from
the area around the base of the cross.  Advance
approval possibly is needed, too, although I am not
sure of that.

It has been a great multi site, but might be a bit
rough for a SO run.  It is fairly close to a grid
intersection, so I know that sponsored rovers have
also been used in the bigger multi runs there.  You
might want to contact Dave, AA9D directly for more
details.

Kevin
W9GKA
EM58