[VHFcontesting] IC 706 MKII question

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] IC 706 MKII question
From: russell beech <rbeech2002@yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 18:41:18 -0400 (EDT)

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 20:56:30 EDT
> From: KA2AEV@aol.com
> Subject: [VHFcontesting] IC706MK2G Question

> Hola
> Have a late model IC706MK2G
> Book sez that the output is 50w on 2m.
> I have a Brick that takes 25w's in and puts out
> @150w
>
> Has anyone done or heard of someone who has checked
> the
> 706 for initial spikes of high power when the power
> output is reduced???
> I really don't feel like smokin the brick...
>
> Comments?
>
> Mike
> KA2AEV

Mike

I have an IC 706 MK I that I have been roving with for
a number of years.  The amplifier chain I have
requires that I feed 3W into the smallest brick.  I
use the power output command in the  IC-706 to back
the power down.

There may or may not be a spike when the tranceiver
starts-up.  This spike may cause a small burst of
distortion at start-up as I could potentially be
overdriving the brick by 100%, I have received no
comments on-air that I have a burst of noise at the
beginning of my 2m transmissions.

The fear gennerally expressed was that the short, full
power spike would damage the input to the next device
in your system (transverters may not be built to
accomodate the same kind of errors that an amp may
expect).  A 25W input circuit that is subjected to a
short 50W pulse is unlikely to suffer damage, check
the input network.  The MK I has a more significant
spike than the MK II.  My 3W input brick has been
accepting whatever the 10W spike is on start-up from
my unit for years with no indication of failure.

Russell
VE3OIL/r