[VHFcontesting] CQWW VHF Score - W4SHG/R

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] CQWW VHF Score - W4SHG/R
From: "Steve Gilmore" <shg@staffnet.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:46:07 -0400
Hello All,

Yes that's right "Rover" thought I'd give it a go since this contest lacks
the level of activity some of the ARRL sponsored events enjoy. Yes the W4SHG
"Rover-vessel" left dock at approxiamtely 05:15am Eastern time Sunday
Morning.

No activity Saturday fighting uncooperative antennas. Some of which are now
a little charred as who knew a capacitive tuned tri-loop 6 Meter Halo and a
TE Systems 6 Meter 375 watt hummer don't mix, well not very long anyway. I
wondered why all this gue was falling on my arms and it was hot too. Then I
looked up and saw it dripping from the antenna. :) Haaa no big deal I don't
care for loops anyway. I'll have to get Mike (K5JMP) a new one, oops. Thanks
Mike it's coming back a different color.

So - Got a Cushcraft 3 Element 6 Meter Beam from the Aluminum pile in back
and slammed it together with a 13B2 and attached a 2x6 to the ladder rack of
the Expedition. Then bored some holes for the Yaesu Rotor attached cables
all of this was done in about an hour. Then I screwed around with the 6
Meter antenna for 2 hours trying to get a decent match, really never
happened as it was too close to the roof of the truck - 1.7:1 depending on
where I turned it. The 13B2 was flat, well it was already built for other
mountain top stuff.

Well I hooked the 6 Meter Beam to a TE 375watt amp and the 13B2 to a TE 200
Watter got some coffee brushed off the FT-100D and off I went. Made a few
test calls Saturday Night but only 4 or 5 then off on Sunday.

Well on the road I fired up 6 Meters and made a call and saw the SWR on the
radio off the scale. Well after fiddling with it the match on the antenna
was 1.7:1 but the radio saw something else and did not like it probably the
input to the TE, more work. I had to drive the TE with 12 watts in order to
keep it happy. Well so much for 375, now down to about 200 or so. Then the 2
Meter side of the FT-100 was getting hot when I operated 6 and there is a
thermal switch that will kill 2/440 TX when hot. So I was calling W4MYA and
gone no TX power. Thought I fixed it but while making a contact with N4MM
gone again. He still hears me on 2 meters but I know there was nothing other
the the LO no PA not a bump of power on the meter. I was close to him
obviously.

Stoped at KMART got a roll of duct tape and some Dryer hose. Connected it to
the rear A/C duct, taped it up ran it to the back of the FT-100D taped it to
the dual fans in the back and turned the A/C in the rear full blast. That
cured the overheating issue. What a mess.

So off, duct tape and all to FM09, FM19, FM08 and FM18 missed FM07 needed to
be home by 3:00pm. Things went pretty well after that crap, found a very
nice hill in FM19aa and then a nice ridge line in FM09uv then off the
HogBack where I logged FN42, and FN41. Just about then 6 Meter busted wide
open to everywhere. Got into the Northern Midwest, Midwest, South and some
short hop stuff to Atlanta. Even heard W6GMT (DM05) but the QSO got busted,
he was gone before the RRR. Can't figure out how that 3 element antenna
worked at all with a bad match but when the band is open it is open. Sorry
to all who battled with me on 6 Meters. I will get it corrected for the next
rove, it there is one.

Here are all the totals - I fixed all the antenna isues today, 6 Meters
redesigned 2 Meters adjusted and added 222 and 432. All are now matched
perfectly. Now I have to see whats going on with the FT-100D anf the TE 6
MEter amp. It might get modified to a 706mkiiG if it is not carefull :)

6 Meters and 4 Grids - 60 Q's and 44 Mults
2 Meters and 4 Grids - 46 Q's and 31 Mults

Total W4SHG/R Rover-Vessel Score = 11,400

Pretty poor but hey, this was the first Rover attempt - We will get this
rockin next time.

73 de W4SHG/R