[VHFcontesting] Rovers and Rules

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Rovers and Rules
From: Dave Agsten <w4txs@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 16:15:46 -0700 (PDT)
Wow - sure are a lot of hackles being raised over rovers and grids. I started
to do a lot of single op roving in Virginia and NC the last couple of years. I
live about 30 miles from a 4 grid corner and do operate from all 4 of those
squares as well as others. I don't grid circle....in fact I rarely even hear
another rover. What would be the point in grid circling? As far as I'm
concerned, that kind of operating would only set a record or high score in that
circling operators mind....it means nothing to anyone else.

There is a lot of work involved in setting up a rover rig. I can't imagine
setting up for 8, 9 or 10+ bands. I have trouble getting 6 meters thru 1296
setup and running. I have 902, but have yet to transmit. I've spent alot of
money getting gear together to load into my truck 4 or 5 times a year. I'm
beginning to wonder if it's worth it.

Grid square multipliers provide a much better system than the previous ARRL
section method. So what if a rover works the same station in 2 different grids
in less than a minutes' time? If you have not operated as a rover you'll only
think you know how often this actually happens. Murphy usually reduces the
signal strength of the station you're trying to work before you get into that
next grid and you don't hear him again. When it does happen you reap one of the
benefits of roving. What's the problem? How many grids does a fixed station
provide?

I think the real problem is that a VHF Contest should be JUST that. Since when
is 1296Mhz or 10Ghz a "VHF" frequency? And, for that matter, with the upcoming
"UHF" contest, is 222 really a UHF frequency? Why not have real VHF or UHF
contests? That would limit the VHF tests to 6, 2 and 222. If we wanted to
stretch things a bit, include 432 in the VHF and continue with 222 as the
lowest freq. in the UHF contest. Have a few more of each contest. Shorten the
contest time a bit. Have contests for the higher frequencies above 2304. Have a
cumulative contest for those who operate in them all. I'd like to think that
there are some changes that could be made which would increase activity on
these bands. Arguing about grid square activities isn't going to do that.

73,
Dave W4TXS