Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF Contesting: Fixing the Grid Circling Problem

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF Contesting: Fixing the Grid Circling Problem
From: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 20:29:53 -0700 (PDT)
--- Tree <tree@kkn.net> wrote:
> If we are just trying to eliminate the grid circling
> behavior, there is a very easy rule that I can think
of to do this.  It
> also would not affect how any other entries are
scored.

> "Any entry judged to be using grid circling as the
> primary method of
> operation will be classified as a check log."

Even with the best of intention, this simply masks the
real issue...

Amateur Radiosport sponsors have unwittingly placed
equal importance on logging stations and grids.  One
can't "station circle" in order to rework grids so
they "grid circle" in order to rework stations.  It
can't be any simpler to understand.

The solution is to eliminate scoring that places as
much importance as logging different grids as it does
in loggin different stations.  Doing so will force
participants to focus on contacting other
*participants*; all of them...as many as they can
(isn't this what we all want?).  If participants want
a higher score, they add an amp, a bigger antenna, a
new band, hone their contesting skills, etc.

Participants would exchange Grid-6's simply in order
to calculate DX-Points.  Sum all DX-Points to arrive
at a submitted score.  It can't be any easier.

Ev, W2EV