Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF Contesting: Fixing the Grid Circling Problem

To: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF Contesting: Fixing the Grid Circling Problem
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 08:43:26 -0700
> > Maybe the grid circling rovers should be detected by percentage of QSO's
> > going to certain stations and then they are categorized accordingly.
> > Maybe if 50% or more of their QSO's are with two or three stations, they
> > are either used as checklogs (an extreme) or put into their own category
> > so they're not competing with rovers who aren't grid circling.
>
> Bzzt - you are making it too complicated.  The simple rule will solve the
> problem and no more words are needed.

Sorry - I should point out that we are pretty much in agreement about the
criteria.  I just don't want someone spending a lot of time figuring out
what the formula should be ahead of time and trying to write a tricky rule
and then have someone come in at 0.1 percent of the criteria and cause a
whole new problem.

By leaving the criteria vague - you can manage the intent of the rule and
apply it as required.  I have a hunch that we will never have to actually
put a log into that category.  Also, only logs that stand out enough to
be a problem would be subject to this classification.  If a small score gets
generated with grid circling - who cares.

Tree