Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF Contesting: Fixing the Grid Circling Problem

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF Contesting: Fixing the Grid Circling Problem
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 08:27:59 -0700
> So do we completely eliminate grid squares, keep them, or modify contest
> rules so the grid square is merely an indication of your location?

I think we need to decide what problem we are trying to solve.

If we are just trying to eliminate the grid circling behavior, there is a
very easy rule that I can think of to do this.  It also would not affect
how any other entries are scored.

"Any entry judged to be using grid circling as the primary method of
operation will be classified as a check log."

You don't need to put the exact criteria -- you know it when you see it.
It will be enough to discourage any future organized activity.

> Otherwise, I'd hate to see Rovers go by the boards, but what kind of rules
> would we establish for them?  A Rover has to move 50 km before working the
> same stations again?

Let's not try to make a rule that interferes with the current rover
operation.  This is a very specific problem, that applies to maybe
three logs.  Putting this rule in place will probably eliminate those
logs and the rest of us can just keep doing what we are.  Let's not
penalize all rovers due to a very specific issue that can be addressed
very easily.

Tree N6TR / K7RAT
tree@kkn.net