Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF Contesting: Fixing the Grid Circling Problem

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF Contesting: Fixing the Grid Circling Problem
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 23:35:54 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Radiosporting Fan wrote:

> --- Tree <tree@kkn.net> wrote:
> > If we are just trying to eliminate the grid circling
> > behavior, there is a very easy rule that I can think
> of to do this.  It
> > also would not affect how any other entries are
> scored.
> >
> > "Any entry judged to be using grid circling as the
> > primary method of
> > operation will be classified as a check log."
>
> Even with the best of intention, this simply masks the
> real issue...
>
> Amateur Radiosport sponsors have unwittingly placed
> equal importance on logging stations and grids.  One
> can't "station circle" in order to rework grids so
> they "grid circle" in order to rework stations.  It
> can't be any simpler to understand.
>
> The solution is to eliminate scoring that places as
> much importance as logging different grids as it does
> in loggin different stations.  Doing so will force
> participants to focus on contacting other
> *participants*; all of them...as many as they can
> (isn't this what we all want?).  If participants want
> a higher score, they add an amp, a bigger antenna, a
> new band, hone their contesting skills, etc.
>
> Participants would exchange Grid-6's simply in order
> to calculate DX-Points.  Sum all DX-Points to arrive
> at a submitted score.  It can't be any easier.
>
> Ev, W2EV

We're trying to fix a problem here that only a few people are creating.  I
like to operate QRP portable.  I can't put up huge multi-stacks of beams
with big amps at home.  I can make up for it with a hilltop location that
makes the most out of 10 watts.  I have enough trouble getting 10 bands
into a Toyota as it is without trying to get multiple beams and bigger
amps stuffed into it.

The current system has worked very well for me.  I don't want to give up
the grid square mult system currently in use.

Maybe the grid circling rovers should be detected by percentage of QSO's
going to certain stations and then they are categorized accordingly.
Maybe if 50% or more of their QSO's are with two or three stations, they
are either used as checklogs (an extreme) or put into their own category
so they're not competing with rovers who aren't grid circling.

I suspect no matter what changes may be made in the rules, someone is
going to complain about them anyway.

Zack W9SZ