[VHFcontesting] Altruism, or how I got started in contesting

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Altruism, or how I got started in contesting
From: Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:04:00 -0400
I think this is on topic, because it describes how a 'shack on the
belt' guy got going on VHF contesting.

I got my Tech license in Jan 2001.  First thing I did was buy a 2m HT.
 Not knowing even as much as the frequencies of the local repeaters, I
put it in simplex and started scanning.  I heard 'CQ contest' and
answered.  N2SQO, at the other end, took the time to explain what was
going on and that I should call CQ myself.  Well I did, and I got
replies and I thought it was very cool indeed.

I'm grateful to Tom for taking those few moments, and when I hear him
on the air I am sure to work him, especially during a contest.  Not
because I'm his captive, but because he has a place in my heart.  He
helped me and I naturally feel like returning the favour.

After the contest, 2m simplex went dead.  All that was left was
repeater traffic, which didn't really appeal to me, but I monitored it
anyway because some QSOs are better than no QSOs.  One day I heard
about a microwave building group, and I drove over to see what was
what.  They were building up 903MHz transverters from kits, and
although they didn't have any more kits, I was invited to spend some
time talking about microwaves, propagation and all sorts of things
ham-related.

I learnt a lot that day, and more in the weeks and years to come,
because I was talking to an RF engineer.  His help, his time and
patient mentoring, his selfless loans of microwave test gear have
helped me build a transverter for 3456.  Why 3g?  Because that was
what boards he had lying about and the price was right.

As an RF beginner and a microwave beginner, it took WAY TOO long to
build that transverter.  In he interim, he explained about contesting
and rovers and offered to load me some antique/surplus gear and
pieces/parts to go out and try it.

Which I did.  I found out that I couldn't talk to very many people
with the loaner gear, and started scouring eBay for transverters of my
own.  My HT was completely inadequate so I got an Icom 706 and put it
and verticals on the daily driver minivan.

My next contest I was able to work W2SZ and WB1GQR in all the grids I
went to.  They are the loudest contest stations I can hear.
Subsequently I've also worked K1TEO and W3CCX as well as K1WHS all the
way in Maine on 6m.  THAT was a rush!

So now I have a place in my heart for those stations because they were
my first 'DX.'  I know that sounds stupid to long time contesters, but
this is the sort of thing that makes a beginner go out again.  Hearing
those familiar calls is a comfort.  At least things are working in
receive!

So today, I'm this nebulous in between sort of rover.  I can't put
antennas up at the house, so mobile/rover is the only way I can enjoy
playing radio.  I don't have an FB rover station, and I'm several
years away from that goal.  My station is in fact, quite weak.  But I
want to play radio NOW, so I go out anyway.

I go out even though the bulk of my points come from 2 contest
stations and the odd well-equipped rover.  I go out even though my log
looks like I'm both a captive and a pack rover.  I don't see myself in
that light: I honestly try to work as many stations that are on, from
as many grids as I can.  I go out in January when the contest stations
aren't on the air.  I've been known to come home after a hundred miles
of driving, turn on the HT and if I hear someone come on, I'll drive a
half hour up to the hills in  FN22 so they can work me over there.

I go out and get on the air in order to return some of the goodwill
that I got from the community back into the community.  If I meet
someone who expresses an interest in roving, I will absolutely lend
him gear and ask him to tag along for a couple of contests.  I feel
funny working him parked right next to me, but if a few dozen points
and a couple of mults are what it takes to make him enthusiastic, I'll
do it for him.  I don't expect him to go out of his way to work me in
the future, but I hope that he will.  Imagine how proud I'll be when I
can finally give something back!

I'm not beholden to my elmer for mentoring me, but I am grateful.  In
return for him helping me all this time, I'm pleased to return the
favour when I can.  I hope that doesn't make me a captive rover in the
eyes of the community, but my Mom taught me to return a favour.

By the way, my desire to improve my contesting has made me a more
active ham on a day to day basis.  I check into a morning commuter
net, and I've passed NTS traffic as well as joined SKYWARN and
participated in simulated emergency tests.

The note I want to end on is this: mentoring has made me an active
contester and a more active ham.  If every contest group did the same
thing, I believe that VHF contesting would grow, benefiting not only
the contest group, but all of us VHFers, because more activity is
better than less activity.

73 de Buck