Re: [VHFcontesting] Pack Rovers meet ARRL contest objectives

To: "'Radiosporting Fan'" <radiosporting@yahoo.com>,"'VHF Contesting e-Mail List'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Pack Rovers meet ARRL contest objectives
From: "Buck - N4PGW" <n4pgw-list2@towncorp.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:41:33 -0400
I have been seeing this thread for quite some time, but I am not quite sure
I understand it as it relates to this controversy.  What is a 'captive' as
it relates to this thread?

Here are some scenario's I can imagine as I read this thread.

1) W2A operates from grid-1 on 6 meters, 2 meters and 1.25 cm.  Then moves
to grid-2 and does the same.  He continues this practice through a dozen or
so grids.

2) W2B operates on 6 meters through four grids and then changes to 2 meters
and goes back through the same four grids.  He does this for each of the
bands in which he is equipped to operate.

3) W1A and W2B get in a convoy together and drive through various grids
using each other for contacts.  If they pass through ten grids during the
contest, they would each have ten grids per call times the number of bands
and modes allowed for the contest.

4) While this doesn't apply to what I am reading here, I read the rules for
an RTTY contest that would allow this....
        W1A contacts W2B. W2B calls W3C.  W3C calls W1A.  The cycle starts
over.  This would create three stations with equal score, but it was legal
according to the contest rules: each station may contact the same station as
many times as possible as long as they made contact with one other between
times.

I have to agree with those who say, that if whatever is being done, is being
done ---within--- the rules of the contest, then the discussion needs to be
focused on whether or not to change the rules.

Buck
N4PGW