[VHFcontesting] What about me? I am captive.

To: "'Vhfcontesting'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] What about me? I am captive.
From: "Tim Ertl (KE3HT)" <ke3ht@ke3ht.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:09:20 -0400
What is a captive rover? I gather this from discussion on this list: I
schedule ahead of the contest with only two or three stations. My June logs
(available on my web site) will show that I mainly worked three stations
plus anyone else that could hear me. I pick rovers sites based on
pre-planned scheds or the hope to work a distant station. I arranged my
whole route around Southern and Northern PA to be able to work K8GP (284
miles from FN10aw) and W2SZ (289miles from FN00xw) unlike some rovers who
plan their routes for the most number of contacts. I have a 10 minute set up
time unlike some rovers that have 0 set up time. Some rovers can't do 250
miles on the microwaves but they can make many hundreds of QSO's. My intent
is not to make lots of QSO's.
So by definition I am captive.

I am a rover who can not win in the rover category. As a single op rover
there is no way I will even get close. I can't win any awards or see my call
in QST. Even if I could compete I don’t really have that type of interest.
The result is I only really spend time on long distance shots and building a
station to do long distance shots. Someday I hope to do moon bounce. My
"FUN" is doing the distance. I really got started in this part of the hobby
because the distance fascinated me. I have done 356 miles up to 3ghz and
289miles up to 5ghz! I had lots of help designing and building my station. I
DO submit my logs to try to help the ARRL justify having these contests not
because I think I might win.

Many other base stations I know of don't have much power, altitude,
Antenna's or serious interest to build a distance capable station even
though they might want to get the multipliers of the distant grids.

-What is power? I run 42watts on 3456, 38watts pm 2304, 11watts on 5760.
-What is altitude? I rover, need I explain that I go to the best places I
can find?
-What is antenna? I run a 6 foot dish. Can you say KW ERP!
I may be captive but I am not a puny station.

Because I want to do distance am I considered captive. Make me an illegal
QSO and I can't use the contests to do my only contacts of the year! Even if
a big gun would talk to a station that does not count it would only be if
they have some free time and most big guns don't have time to waste.

My only concern with all these anti rover threads is that myself and many
other rovers might not be able to contest in our own "FUN" ways. We have
"FUN" rather than competing directly to win. What's wrong with that?

Tell me, what should I do?
Already one Rover has put his Rover up for sale! Some want me to quit? Is it
the loud minority or the silent majority speaking (E-mailing)? Should I stop
doing what gives me "FUN" to keep the contest pure? I would probably lose
interest and put my station up for sale. What is the purpose of all this
anti rover hatred? Do we really want to kill off rovers like me?

Tim

Tim Ertl KE3HT/r
QSL via CBA
http://www.ke3ht.org