Re: [VHFcontesting] What about me? I am captive.

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] What about me? I am captive.
From: "John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK" <k9jk73@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:38:05 -0500
Primarily for Tim,

I second what Jim and Ev have written. You are NOT a captive rover...the
'captivated' adjective (which I think Ev coined) fits you much better.

AND...if you are having FUN...then keep on doing it. If a factor of your "FUN"
is the amount of 'wallpaper' you collect, and you don't collect any, then you
might stop dong it some day...that is YOUR decision.

"My" read/definition of the 'captive' rover is one who most likely does not
submit a log (so you don't see them in the results) and only works ONE station
(likely on multiple bands and from several grid squares). The 'captive' rover
actually 'helps' the station to which they are captive by working only the
'mother' (hmmm...what IS the term for a female canine?) station by giving them
essentially TWO contacts...the ONE that they actually give and by being sure
that they don't give contacts to anybody else. The only way to see a truly
'captive' rover is to see the 'mother' station's logs...the truly 'captive'
rover would show as U's in a UBN (Unique, Busted, Not-in-log) report of the
mother station's log after it was compared against the entire quantity of logs
that was submitted for a given contest. I *think* that (or something similar)
is what Tree has reported to have seen in logs he has viewed as a log checker.

Of course, there is a continuum of possibilities here. A rover might be
"captive" to a fixed station on higher GHz bands, *only* making contacts with
the 'mother' station on those higher GHz bands but is actively pursuing
contacts on lower (GHz and MHz) bands (and, hopefully *making* such
contacts)...is *that* behavior a problem? Hard to say.

My 0.01631 Euro worth.

73, JK