Re: [VHFcontesting] What about me? I am captive.

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] What about me? I am captive.
From: "Bob Naumann - W5OV" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:52:47 -0500

First, you don't know me.  I am neither lazy, nor a whiner.  My
motivation is to seek to get the rules changed to correctly address the
issues at hand - period.  Sharing my opinion on the reasons why is all
I'm doing.

I recognize that something is wrong with the SOP at some multi-ops
concerning their team members going out and pretending to be
independent rovers.  The same applies to the pack-rover/grid-circlers.

These allegedly independent operations are no more indepedent from each
other than the 2m op is from the 6m op on the same hilltop using the
same callsign - or from the guy who puts up the towers, or cooks
breakfast for the hilltop crew.  They are all members of the same
entity, seeking to benefit one station's operation.  Their status in
the contest must take that into account.

Some say where's the proof?  Instead, I say prove that they are
independent as they claim.  You might say, "But Bob, the rules don't
require them to."  Well, the rules should require proof.

This practice isn't new.  It's been going on for years.  Another
example from the past was reported here this morning.

Should some scores in the books be retroactively moved to different,
perhaps new categories?  I think that might be a good idea and deserves
further thought.

The rules are simply inadequate as they are today and need to be
changed in order to adequately address these issues.

Bob Naumann - W5OV