Re: [VHFcontesting] Poll

To: VHF CONTESTING <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>,Rusty Boling <ae4bk@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Poll
From: Rusty Boling <ae4bk@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:33:33 -0700 (PDT)
Amazing how easy it is to make yourself look stupid with an accidental
keystroke of the "ENTER" key, unintentionally sending an email with no topic.
A big whoops on my part  Here is what I wanted to somehow poll on a website
that allows polls (and only allows 1 vote per topic).  If anyone is aware to
such a site that everyone on this list can get on, please post these questions,
post a link to the poll, and post the results on that website in a timely
manner either on that site or on here.

Here are the questions that I would like a strictly "yes" or "no" answer on...

1) Do "captive rovers" exist?

2) If they do, are they good for the contest?

3) Do "pack rovers" exist?

4) If they do, are they good for the contest?

5) Does "grid circling" exist?

6) If it exists, is it good for the contest?

7) If any/all of the above exist are they good for the hobby?

8) Do we need an "ethical VHF contesters handbook" and make it mandatory
reading for each participant?

9) Do we need contest sponsors to make rules more specific regarding the above
tactics and very actively enforce these rules?

10) Do we need more entry classes if the above practices are deemed good for
the contest?

11) Are the current rules open-ended/not specific enough as to cause friction
among competitive contestants who would otherwise be best friends/friendly
competitors sharing the same passion for VHF/UHF and contesting?

12) Is it absolutely a must that the contests be so long?

13) Is there any way that there could be different levels of commitment made
(time wise) to encourage hams that don't have 2 days spare time to commit to
the contest yet still be competitive on a 6, 12, 24, or 33 hour basis, as to
encourage more participation from the average ham with less spare time giving
them an opportunity to be competitive within their respective level of
commitment? (You can go over your time limit, but any contact after your first
consecutive 6, 12, or 24 hours does not count towards your score, but does for
the station that you are working if they are within their time commitment also).

14) Does the "club competition" encourage you to work only the stations that
you know are not your competition? Your competition may be 1 qso point for you,
but may be a new grid for them, or just the opposite.

15) Should we send in logs with an attachment that shows stations that "refused
to make contacts with me on multiple occasions on multiple bands knowing that
we could have easily worked eachother" placing that station that refused to
work you on a suspected "captive rover" list.

16) Should we send in logs with attachment showing "I suspect grid circling
from station "XX2XXX"  because of observed "blank" activity if grid circling is
not within the framework of the rules?

17) Should we send in logs with attachment showing "I suspect pack roving from
station "XX2XXX" because of observed "blank" activity if pack roving is not
within the framework of the rules?

18) Should there be a band limited category in every class?

19) If the 18 questions above were addressed by contest sponsors, would
everyone feel like they are getting a fair shake/chance at their respective
goal or award?

So what do you guys think of these questions?

Rusty NE4ME formely AE4BK