Re: [VHFcontesting] 10 gigs + contest results???

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 10 gigs + contest results???
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:08:33 -0500 (CDT)
My first time in this contest.  I only worked one station - W9ZIH - from
EN62cc on Sunday morning and then from EN50rl on Sunday evening. Both on
10 GHz. My total points for the first weekend were 100 + 92 (km) + 160
(km) = 352.

I set up in EN62cc on Saturday evening for an hour but heard no one on
from 144.230 through 144.260 and no one on 10G. A large thunderstorm to
the east produced no rainscatter QSO's.

I set up at the same site again on Sunday morning and worked Ron, then
tried to work several others to the east who were on 144.260.  Neither I
nor W9ZIH could hear most of them.  I believe they had propagation to the
east but not to the west at that time.

My tripod then fell down and bent the feed to my 10G dish.  I drove back
to Champaign and repaired the feed.  Then in the evening I worked W9ZIH
from EN50rl.  Signals were pretty decent, so we also worked each other on
3456 and 5760 just for fun. I listened for others on 10G but dd't hear
anyone from there and no one else on 144.260 either.

By the way, W9ZIH has a 5760 beacon at the QTH of WB9Z (I think that's
EN60br).  It is almost exactly on 5760.000 and I think Ron said it is
aimed to the northwest.  I could hear it in EN50rl to the northeast last
night.

73, Zack W9SZ