Re: [VHFcontesting] 10 gigs + contest results???

To: "Bill Burgess" <ve3cru@rac.ca>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 10 gigs + contest results???
From: w3sz <w3sz@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:03:14 -0400
Hi, Bill,

I am not a great operator and did not operate the full 24 hours, so I am
probably not a good 'yardstick' of how conditions were.  I had good luck
on 10 GHz, but only made 1 24 GHz contact due to the high humidity.

I worked 25 stations, which was more than the 19 I did total for both
weekends last year.

I really appreciate the time and effort everyone who operated put in,
especially those who operated portable or rover, as that takes even more
preparation and hard work than staying home like I did.  What a great
bunch of guys [and gals] the microwave troops are!

Every contact was very enjoyable and much appreciated, but I had 2
personal highlights:

1.  Working K1DS on 24 GHz SSB.  I was worried that my 24 GHz setup had
died until we completed [over a relatively short 31 mile path].  The high
humidity made things difficult until late yesterday afternoon when the
humidity which had been 60-95% all weekend fell to 40%, but by then it was
time to quit.  Rick and I actually completed BEFORE the humidity fell to
those 'low' levels ;)

2.  Hearing Dex W4DEX Blasting in from EM95tg for a LONG time on 10 GHz
via rainscatter using a storm over FM16/FM17 [between Richmond and Rocky
Mount].  I didn't work him but he was very loud and Q5 for a long time
here and if my signal had managed to complete the path we would have
worked easily.  Dex has already posted on two of the incredible contacts
he made.  Russ K2TXB tipped us off that Dex was on, and Andy Flowers
K0SM's program 'Rainscatter' and Linrad made it trivial to point the
antenna and find Dex's frequency, respectively.  Dex's pathlength to me
was about 500 miles via the storm center we were pointed at.

This is a [long] wav file I recorded with Linrad while listening to Dex's
'CQ' while he was pounding in here on 10 GHz here yesterday:
http://home.comcast.net/~w3sz/w4dex1.wav

It won't stay there forever, so download it now if you want it.

I hope some of that is interesting to the group.

Thanks again to everyone for making for a very fun-filled weekend, and
especially to Dex and Russ and Andy for the 10 GHz rainscatter fun!!

73,

ROger Rehr
W3SZ

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:43:09 -0400, Bill Burgess <ve3cru@rac.ca> wrote:

> The first half of the 10 gigs and up 'test has now passed.  Lets start
> seeing some results here.
>
> Did anybody exceed past results for the first weekend oin the contest?
>
> Bill   VE3CRU
>
> Email: ve3cru@rac.ca

Roger Rehr
W3SZ