[VHFcontesting] (no subject)

To: Moon-Net <moon-net@list-serv.davidv.net>,vhfcontesting@contesting.com, microwave@lists.valinet.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] (no subject)
From: Lee Scott - AA1YN <aa1yn@aa1yn.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 12:06:23 -0400
Please excuse the bandwidth but I keep getting emails requesting "Add Me"
to your list - here is the info. So from time to time, I mail this out. As
I am not on every reflector, please feel free to cross post this to other
reflectors.

A number of you know about my VHF & Up database.  With the change in format
for JT65 and the new CALL3.TXT file, I have been getting a few emails per
week about adding many more callsigns to the database.  While it would be
nice for everyone to have me enter all the information, it does create a
large workload for one or two persons.  Gathering all sorts of data,
checking the data and sorting/verifying it takes a lot of time.

The VHF & Up database has been running for a couple of years now and there
are nearly 1700 callsigns in it. Along with the basic information, there
are 5000 station/band records for those 1700 persons. If I was retired and
had nothing else to do, it might be fun for a while but consider it takes a
minute to enter the basic info and about 1 minute to enter each
band/station info; thus far it would have taken me 112 hours to do it.  As
it is, it only took me 40 hours to develop the website.

It is a lot more extensive than just a list.  The database gives you the
opportunity to describe your capabilities on each band and each mode.  With
this information, you can download only stations which have EME capability
on 2 meters or CW capability on 3cm and if you want, you can limit it to
your local area or country. The problem is, in order to make it work, a lot
more people need to register and fill in their information. Please note,
you do not have to be registered to view/utilize the database. I'm sure
once you do, you will register.

If you are a registrant of the WSJT register, chances are, you're already
in the VHF & Up database with the same password. If you forgot your
password, just request the database send it to you. If your email address
is incorrect, it will get bounced back to me and I post all the returned
emails.  On the request password page is a link to the list of returned
emails so if you don't receive it, you need to contact me for the
correction. One change I've made is a database of bad emails and you must
use the "Contact Me" page in order to request your password.  This way I
can get your email address corrected.

To see the capability of the database, go to http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf ,
click on the search the VHF database by QTH information, enter my call
(AA1YN) and my basic information comes up.  Click on my callsign and you
will see a web page describing my capabilities.  All this information is
readily available online and searchable.  It is a very powerful tool if you
use it.

Once you are registered with the VHF & Up database, there is an online
scheduling site much like PingJockey.  The meteor scatter and JT pages are
there as a backup for PJ but I also have a page for EME CW and VHF weak
signal.  You are more than welcome to use these pages. This effort is
supported by the North East Weak Signal Group and we will be adding a
contest/awards section to it. The main page for this website is at
http://vhftalk.aa1yn.com and the links to the pages are there.  You must be
registered with the VHF & Up database to access it and you will have to log
in only once to set cookies on your PC.

If you have any questions or suggestions please feel free to contact me.

Enjoy & 73

Lee Scott - AA1YN http://www.aa1yn.com
Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
Home of the VHF Talk chatroom http://vhftalk.aa1yn.com