Re: [VHFcontesting] Masting . . .

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Masting . . .
From: Lee Scott - AA1YN <aa1yn@aa1yn.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:16:08 -0400
At 02:51 PM 10/29/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>KC8QVO, Steve said:
>
>" . . . Also, what does everyone recommend as a mast? Array Solutions
>sells some REALLY NICE PE certified  masts, but they are VERY expensive. I
>was thinking about going to the plumbing supply store and getting a 2"
>galvanized steel pipe. . . . "

Hi Steve,

You can probably obtain 24 ft lengths from either a chain link fence supply
house or a metal supply shop. The metal shop would probably be less
expensive.  The standard length is 24 ft hot dip and just cut it to the
length you need.  If you go to a fence supply, you might be able to
scrounge shorter lengths but at more expense per ft.

I use schedule 20 pipe and find it is quite enough.  I use a 24 ft sched 40
pipe as a gin pole.  I have a Boson's chair and have been up to the top of
my mast.  The sched 40 is what you are referring to and it is quite heavy.

Sherm,

I don't think I would rely on a threaded pipe splice.

Once you cut the threads, you no longer have a galvanized end.  The
couplers are cast and not drawn steel so they are much weaker.

Lee Scott - AA1YN http://www.aa1yn.com
Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
Home of the VHF Talk chatroom http://vhftalk.aa1yn.com
Hooksett, NH