[VHFcontesting] 2m Sprint - "wrong" night?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 2m Sprint - "wrong" night?
From: "John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK" <k9jk73@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 10:30:08 -0500
Ron/others,

And not "picking" on Ron but:

Ron Klimas WZ1V wrote:
>Against my better judgement that 2m Sprints should only take place on
>Monday nights, I operated most of it anyway ... <some omitted> ... TNX
>to all who got on and to ETDXA for sponsoring even though it was on the
>wrong night! Has anyone got ahold of WU40 about this?

If you visit the ETDXA's web page for the Spring VHF & Up Sprints
( http://www.etdxa.org/springsprints.htm )...it "suggests" that the 144
Sprint was slipped a day to NOT compete with the TV Broadcast of the NCAA
Men's Basketball Finals. And, even though the word "Tentative" remains on
that page, since the time is here and the Sprints have started...it's no
longer tentative. Further, in the pdf of the rules for 2006
( http://www.etdxa.org/2006%20spring%20sprint%20rules.pdf ), there's no
"tentative" in there.

I've not spoken with or exchanged e-mail with Jeff regarding this but,
personally, I am OK with it though I also realize the "history" of
band-activity nights. It also seems that it was NOT necessary to slip the
222 and 432 nights by a day as well (so those COULD HAVE BEEN on the
"normal" band-activity night but they will ALSO be on the "wrong" nights
next week and the week after) but the Sponsor(Jeff?) made AND ANNOUNCED that
decision.

Good decision or bad decision...I won't judge BUT:

1. At least the ETDXA continues to sponsor this fine event which I think
"we" ALL should (and seem to) appreciate. (THANKS ETDXA!)
2. I read (in the ETDXA Newsletters) that Jeff/WU4O seems to be getting a
bit "worn down" from being the "champion" for the Spring Sprint series
within the club and is asking for someone else to take over that role (Jeff
is also the ETDXA webmaster so he does a lot). "We" should ALSO be
appreciative of Jeff's efforts (and I think "we" are...THANKS JEFF!).
3. The "change" of nights WAS announced and "we" all knew (or most of us
did) when to get on.

My bottom line, I think it was well and appropriately handled and "we" had
warning.

It is certainly the sponsor's prerogative to make changes in when the event
they sponsor happens (not to mention that the reasoning for the change is
"suggested" in the announcement).

Consider as well, that Jeff/The ETDXA might have had numerous "complaints"
about the conflict of last year's 144 MHz event with the NCAA Final...it may
have been a rock and a hard place situation (and is there ANYONE who really
likes those?).

My two cents worth...exact change only...watch your step and thanks for
reading.

73, JK