Re: [VHFcontesting] Pointing towards the weak ones

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Pointing towards the weak ones
From: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:19:53 -0700 (PDT)
--- Dale Dermott - K3DD <k3dd@arrl.net> wrote:
> Not exactly sure what Zack means by this, but it
> sure would be nice to know when someone in a distant
> grid has the beam turned your way and could hear
> you.  Has there ever been any discussion of stations
> looking, for example, northeast at :00, northwest at
> :15, southwest at :30, and southeast at :45?

Dale,
Yes, in fact when I was the contest chairman of the
Rochester VHF Group we did this exactly...and
successfully.  The trick was to have everyone in
Rochester follow the clock's minute hand in pointing
their antennas, during the activity hour for each
band, 6 meters and 2 meters (running bands from
there).

It was highly successful for both the Rochester VHF
Group and the DX stations who were prepared during
"their" portion of the hour.

Of course, there would have been problems had another
population center been competing with us at the time.
As always, there are always drawbacks like that.

Ev, W2EV