Re: [VHFcontesting] KC8QVO portable in EN39

To: steve d <kc8qvo@yahoo.com>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] KC8QVO portable in EN39
From: "Eric Smith" <kb7dqh@donobi.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:52:06 -0700
The tram concept seems pretty cool... I suppose a
reasonably heavy duty three horizontal leg thing on the
ground with your pipe sticking straight up would do the
trick... then pre size your guy lines, and fix them to the
base of the rotator/antenna support tram and their anchor
points.  Upon the tram reaching full height, the guy lines
will all become tensioned simultaneously, if sized right.
 At any rate, the tipover hazard is minimized even as the
height of the tram increases, as the guy lines are getting
progressively tighter.  Once at full height, the guy line
length may be trimmed as necessary to get your mast plumb.
 Depending on the weight of your antenna farm and rotator,
the ground end of your guy lines may be adequately
tensioned with heavy duty cargo straps, or "come-along"
hoists.  I think you are on to something here...

I have been working on the hardware required to safely
stand a light 55 foot crankup in a
portable environment, provided adequate anchor points are
available, and doing this all unassisted, without the tower
being fastened to a vehicle or a so-called "driveover"
mount.  Quite the challenge I assure you.   Trick is to fab
up some sort of "bipod" gin pole for lifting the top end of
the tower high enough for the line pulling the tower
vertical to get adequate mechanical advantage to do the
lift, and, not try to pull the tower to one side or
another.  Other trick is to have the two back guys already
fastened to their anchor points so as to keep the tower
from doing anything silly when the tower becomes nearly
vertical, like fall over to one side or towards the winch
line.  I am sure it can be done with the right stuff...
Eric
KB7DQH